Regular work-changing environment and routine work increase stress on employees. This work-related stress leads to anxiety, depression, reduced productivity, low morale, and employee turnover. Searching for ways to get rid of the stressful work environment, organizations are discovering numerous benefits of yoga based wellness programs.
Benefits of yoga
The art of practicing yoga helps in controlling the mind, body, and soul. It gives an overall benefit of practicing yoga in an individual’s health and his well-being. It helps in managing anxiety, stress, keeps you relaxed and increases flexibility, muscle strength, and body tone. It improves respiration, vitality, and energy.
1. Lowers stress: A stressful office life, the pressure to meet deadlines, workload stress, and trying to balance personal and professional life can be hectic. Engaging in mindful breathing exercises and stretch through yoga poses can balance out the stress leading to more positive output at your workplace.
2. Better posture: An imperfect posture can lead to back pain. Working continuously on a computer can have a negative impact on your posture. Practicing yoga will help you to align and correct your posture.
3. Helps with creativity: Yoga helps you to concentrate and focus on the work and also opens the minds so that a person can think outside the box.
4. Increases positivity/morale: Healthy, relaxed and focused employees are more productive, creative. If they feel well physically mentally and emotionally, their morale would be high. Offering yoga classes at work or off-site is a cost-effective way to achieve good and productive employees.
Yoga at work desk
1. Seated Tadasana: Raise your both hands and try to straighten your elbow as much as possible, spread your fingers wide, engage your abs as you sit up tall, soften your shoulders, stack your head directly over your torso, and lift your chin up and back a tiny bit to help align your spine and find good posture, stay and breathe for 3-5 seconds slowly.
2. Seated Side Stretch: Raise your right hand up and tilt the arm to the left side find as much as length possible. Palm can face to the left. Keep space between your shoulders and ears.
3. Forward Fold: From shoulder stretch, drop your arms to the floor with the top of your head, gently nod your head “yes” and “no” to release tension in the back and neck. Keep your weight slightly forward into the balls of your feet.
4. Chair Pigeon Pose: Sit normally on the chair, keep both your feet flat on the ground. Now place your right leg over your left in 90 degrees. Now press your foot in a way that the right ankle comes in line with the right knee. Hold for 3-5 breaths and repeat the entire process with your left knee.
5. Seated Twist: Sit tall in your chair, breathe deeply and as you exhale spin your body to either of the sides. Stay stagnant on the side you choose for 5 breaths and go back to normal position.
Importance of yoga
Yoga at the workplace leads to a positive work environment. A stress-free employee will work more efficiently, creatively and will discover the confidence to complete projects and solve problems creatively. Yoga develops best leadership skills, demonstrates employee appreciation and build a solid team from inside out.
eHRMS by Neural IT is a cloud-based software helping HR’s to simplify their daily tasks. Digitize your HR function & let eHRMS empower HR’s to easily onboard new hires, track employee progress, and analyze data to support employee development and organisation.